Whether you are remodelling your whole kitchen or just replacing the cooker, which oven and hob to opt for is an important decision. Here we are going to explore the advantages and disadvantages of the three main choices: ceramic, induction or gas.
Advantages of Ceramic Hobs
- They offer a stylish finish.
- A flat surface so is easy and quick to clean.
Disadvantages of Ceramic Hobs
- Induction and Gas hobs are much quicker to heat up and cool down. Ceramic hobs take some time. This can be a safety issue too if there are young children hovering around.
Advantages of Gas Hobs
- Provide instantaneous heat.
- It’s easier to modify the heat quickly.
- You can use any kind of cookware on a gas hob.
- Aren’t affected by power cuts.
Disadvantages of Gas Hobs
- Gas hobs are more awkward to clean than the flat surfaces of ceramic or induction.
- If you live in a rural location and don’t have a gas supply, you will have to rely on portable gas cylinders.
Advantages of Induction Hobs
- Heat up immediately, almost as instantaneous as gas.
- They cool down almost immediately too, hence are safer than ceramic.
- They are more expensive than ceramic hobs but the cooking time can be faster, thereby saving on electricity and time.
- They don’t heat up until a pan is placed on the ring, thereby a ring won’t become hot if switched on in error.
- Induction hobs have a boost function.
Disadvantages of Induction Hobs
- Induction hobs work via electromagnetism. They only work with specific pans (you can test your pans by seeing if a magnet sticks to them, copper saucepans aren’t suitable).
- They are more expensive than ceramic hobs.
- The hob doesn’t like it if the base of a saucepan is wet – and will beep!
- If you have a lot of power cuts, it can be a good idea to have a small portable gas stove on standby.
- This may sound strange but it is recommended that people will pacemakers don’t stand in close contact with induction hobs.
We hope this helps you to make a decision when purchasing your new cooker or hob. Buy well and it will last you for decades.