Plumbers specialise in installing and maintaining systems used for potable (drinking) water, sewage, drainage in plumbing systems and heating. They play a crucial role in ensuring that homes and buildings have proper heating, water and waste flow helping to maintain health standards and comfort for inhabitants. To carry out any tasks related to plumbing, a plumber needs both the physical labour and the analytical skills needed to troubleshoot and solve complex plumbing issues.
Lately we did a survey of plumbing charges with some plumbers on our website. We asked them to let us know what a typical call out fee would be and the price per hour thereafter. We also asked if they had any tips for customers on having a good experience with the tradesman and their job. I have attached a summary of the feedback below:-
Call out charges ranged from €80+vat to €120+vat and the hourly rate thereafter ranged from €60+vat per hour to €120+vat per hour. The following is a list of tips, comments and suggestions that tradesmen had for customers in order to ensure a good experience with their job:-
- Try and have a complete list of jobs ready at the beginning rather than adding on jobs at the end.
- The reason some charge a call-out fee is because many calls are just for advice and not actual work. The call-out charge covers the time and travelling expenses.
- Jobs that involve re-tiling and electrical should be considered separate.
- A clear job description is crucial and it is also good to include any parking or accessibility challenges. Depending on the situation, bank transfers or cash might be suitable payment methods.
- It’s generally preferable for plumbers to supply and fit materials. This way, VAT rates can be lower, and any issues with the parts become the plumber’s responsibility.
- Provide as many details as possible in the job post. Sending photos before a visit might enable a quote without a visit, potentially reducing costs.
- When choosing a tradesman, read through their reviews and ratings to understand their work quality and how they deal with customers.
- Give as much information as possible, specifying your location and any parking or accessibility challenges.
I hope this helps some of you who are planning to carry out a plumbing job in the near future. Don’t forget that you can get a number of quotes for plumbing jobs by posting your job on our website at https://www.tradesmen.ie/trade/plumbers.
If you have any comments or suggestions please feel free to place them in the comments box below.
24 August 2023
General Tips for hiring a tradesman
Here are some tips to consider when hiring a tradesman:-
1. Ask for phone numbers of references so that you can check them out
2. Check insurance of the tradesman where insurance is required
3. Hire a suitably qualified architect, building surveyor or building engineer if the job is anything to do with a new build, building renovation or extension