If you are considering renovating, improving, or enhancing your home in any way, one place to start is by resurfacing your driveway. Driveway resurfacing involves covering the existing surface with a new layer of material, which can provide a number of benefits. For example:
- Resurfacing can help repair cracks and other damage to the surface, improving the overall appearance of your driveway.
- A new surface can also provide better traction and make it easier to navigate your driveway in wet or icy conditions.
- Resurfacing can also extend the life of your driveway by protecting it from further damage and wear and tear.
Overall, driveway resurfacing is a cost-effective way to improve the appearance and functionality of your home’s exterior.
Lately we carried out a survey with some paving contractors on Tradesmen.ie. We asked them roughly how much would it cost, per meter sq, excluding vat, for their preferred driveway surface, including site preparation. We also asked if they had any tips for the customer on having a good experience with the tradesman. These prices and tips may also be of interest to anyone considering resurfacing a yard or patio. Here are some of the replies we received below:-
Tom from Kildare:- 300 euros per square meter…tip…use brick edges.with tarmac
George from Dublin:- 10m2 driveway slab 250mm thickness including skip , 9mm metal mash, hardcore materials s21/m2. €5000 in total.
Anthony from Wicklow:- Standard size resurfacing in asphalt about 2500EUR. Pick the right contractor Right materials Especially the foundation materials.
Michael from Dublin:- For a front driveway depending on how much prep work is needed and choice of paving we would ideally be charging €100-€130 per square meter for supply and install
Ivan from Dublin:- The pricing the garden is a most hard moment, and depends on many factors: area, size, time of the year, materials selected, existing condition of driveway, time spent on the project. I working in landscaping business 20 years, and with tradesmen I think from 2008? I done a lot of driveways and all of them was different and the final price per sqm different also . I do the driveway on my own way ( how we do it on Eastern Europe) I lay cobbles on dry mix ( not on paving sand only ) to be sure that my work will stay long and I guarantee my work. And I charge for the quality! For example 5/8 driveway in North Co Dublin ( handy for me ) in a cobblestone 25 e sqm , without breaking concrete, will cost 7000 ( all incl.) If the driveway include wet mix ( granite sets) – completely different price.
Ionut from Dublin:- For a driveway from a concrete driveway to a paved driveway the cost would be around 27€ per square foot labour cost For a granite drive way will be around 30€ for square foot. On that is included removing of old surface, preparation of the ground and fitting new surface.
Pat from Offaly:- I would say to lay a drive of concrete would cost about 25 euro per sq meter all included
I hope this helps some of you who are considering getting your driveway, yard or patio re-surfaced in the near future. If you decide to go ahead with it be sure to post your job here .
11 March 2023
General Tips for hiring a tradesman
Here are some tips to consider when hiring a tradesman:-
1. Ask for phone numbers of references so that you can check them out
2. Check insurance of the tradesman where insurance is required
3. Hire a suitably qualified architect, building surveyor or building engineer if the job is anything to do with a new build, building renovation or extension
4. Agree on some sort of stage payments for the job. Remember that full payment should not be made until the job is complete and has been inspected by you, and if necessary by a certifier.
Keywords: Driveway Price Survey Ireland